In recent years, Invisalign has become increasingly popular in dentistry. It has helped patients achieve a straight smile without the hassle of traditional metal braces.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the different types of Invisalign treatment available and how it addresses malocclusion or crooked teeth. We will also discuss how long each treatment takes to complete. Let’s discover why many choose this innovative treatment over other orthodontic options.
- How Does Invisalign Straighten Teeth?
- How Is Invisalign Different From Traditional Orthodontic Treatment?
- What Are the Different Types of Invisalign Treatments?
- Which Invisalign Treatment Is for Me?
- How Much Does It Cost to Have Invisalign Treatment?
- Is Invisalign Covered by Health Funds?
- Final Thoughts
- Frequently Asked questions
How Does Invisalign Straighten Teeth?
Invisalign treatment is a state-of-the-art orthodontic solution. It helps straighten teeth without needing traditional metal braces. The Invisalign system uses a series of clear, removable aligners to gradually shift teeth into place.
With Invisalign, your dentist or orthodontist will map out a personalised treatment plan based on your needs and oral health goals. The Invisalign system uses digital impressions of your teeth and creates 3D models. These are used to fabricate custom Invisalign aligners tailored to straighten your teeth.
Each Invisalign aligner is made with precision. It uses SmartForce Technology™ to progressively move your teeth toward the correct position.
With each Invisalign treatment, the goal of a straighter, more beautiful smile is achieved with minimal interference to daily life. This is because no brackets or wires are required, unlike traditional braces.
How Is Invisalign Different From Traditional Orthodontic Treatment?
Invisalign is a modern alternative to traditional orthodontic treatment. It works just as well for straightening teeth. However, Invisalign has its unique features, including:
- Invisalign uses removable transparent plastic trays custom-made to fit snugly over the teeth. Meanwhile, traditional orthodontics involves metal brackets and wires.
- Invisalign provides a discreet teeth straightening experience with its nearly invisible braces. Traditional orthodontics is more noticeable, as the metal brackets and wires stand out in the mouth.
- Invisalign trays are designed to be worn for only 20-22 hours per day, while traditional braces stay on 24/7.
- Invisalign offers a more comfortable experience than traditional braces. It has no sharp edges or metal wires that can irritate the gums, lips, cheeks, and soft tissues in the mouth.
- Invisalign trays are also removable. This allows for better oral hygiene maintenance and greater convenience when eating or drinking.
- Traditional orthodontics can be more difficult to clean around due to their design. This can lead to more plaque buildup and a higher risk of cavities and gum disease.
What Are the Different Types of Invisalign Treatments?
There are several types of Invisalign treatments designed to address the varying needs of dental patients. The five types include:
- Invisalign Full
- Invisalign Lite
- Invisalign Express
- Invisalign Teen
- Invisalign First
Invisalign Full is the most comprehensive of all Invisalign treatments, addressing moderate orthodontic problems such as crowded teeth, misalignments, gaps between teeth, underbites, overbites, and more.
The treatment usually takes 12-24 months, but the duration can vary depending on the severity of the case. Unlike other Invisalign options, there is no limit to the number of trays provided, allowing for a more personalized and comprehensive treatment plan.
Invisalign Lite is an orthodontic treatment designed for milder cases, such as mild misalignments, small gaps between teeth, and slight overcrowding. However, it is not indicated for addressing bite problems.
Unlike Invisalign Full, which provides an unlimited number of trays, Invisalign Lite patients receive only 8-14 trays, which they will wear for the entire treatment duration, typically lasting 6-8 months. While the treatment period is shorter, patients can still expect to achieve quality results with Invisalign Lite.
Invisalign Express can provide a quick and effective solution for minor orthodontic issues such as slight crowding or spacing of teeth and minor relapse after previous orthodontic treatment. It is a more limited version of the Invisalign treatment as it only addresses specific teeth that need to be re-aligned while keeping other teeth in their current position.
There are two options for Invisalign Express:
Invisalign Express 5: Aligns teeth with five sets of Invisalign trays.
Invisalign Express 10: Aligns teeth with ten sets of Invisalign trays.
The treatment typically lasts up to three months. Invisalign Express is a quick, convenient and affordable option for patients who only need minor adjustments to their teeth.
Invisalign Teen is specifically designed for teenagers. The aligners are virtually invisible, making them a popular option for teens self-conscious about wearing traditional metal braces.
Invisalign Teen also comes with several special features to accommodate the unique needs of teenage patients.
- Compliance indicators – These are blue dots that fade away after the tray has been worn for two weeks. They help track the patient’s compliance with the instructions given by the dentist.
- Eruption tabs – Invisalign teen aligners are designed to have spaces between the aligner and teeth to make room for erupting teeth.
- Replacement aligners – For teens more prone to losing or damaging their trays, Invisalign Teen includes as many as six replacement aligners.
Invisalign Teen helps address misalignment, overcrowding, and bite problems in teenagers without needing to use metal brackets and wires. On average, teenage patients can expect their treatment to be finished in 6-24 months, depending on the specific orthodontic problems being addressed. Patients may be provided with 18-30 plastic aligners in total.
Invisalign First is a quick and comfortable way to address growing malocclusions in children‘s teeth. It aims to guide the growth and development of a child’s jaws and teeth to achieve proper alignment and bite. The Invisalign trays are designed to anticipate the growth of the jaws, and treatment may last for 6-18 months, depending on the severity of the dental problem and the compliance of the child.
Which Invisalign Treatment Is for Me?
Deciding which type of Invisalign treatment is right for you depends on several factors. This includes the types and severity of dental issues that must be addressed. Different types of Invisalign treatments are available, each tailored for specific cases.
For instance, Invisalign Express and Invisalign Lite options are suited for minor crowding or misalignments. In contrast, Invisalign Full aligners can be used in more complicated cases which require teeth to be moved further apart or closer together to achieve desired results.
Invisalign Teen is for teenagers with mild to moderate orthodontic problems. Lastly, Invisalign First is ideal for growing children who are observed to be developing dental malocclusion.
Ultimately, discussing your orthodontic needs with an experienced dentist will help you decide which kind of Invisalign is right for you.
How Much Does It Cost to Have Invisalign Treatment?
The cost of Invisalign treatment can vary significantly. It depends on the type of treatment you opt for and the severity of your dental problem. Here is a list of the prices of the different Invisalign treatments.
- Invisalign Full – $6,000 to $9,000
- Invisalign Lite – $5,000 to $7000.
- Invisalign Express – $1,500 to $4,000
- Invisalign Teen – $3500 to $7500
- Invisalign First – $4,500 to $5,500
These prices are just estimates of the treatment cost. To have a better idea of what your Invisalign treatment might cost, visit Maylands Dental Centre for a consultation.
Is Invisalign Covered by Health Funds?
Although not all plans cover Invisalign, many health fund companies offer some coverage. Consult with your dentist and health fund provider to discuss the details of your particular plan.
In addition, depending on where you live, there are other ways to get discounted rates or financing options for Invisalign treatment. Many dentists offer payment plans and discounts that make Invisalign treatment more affordable.
Look into what type of coverage your health fund offers. Depending on the plan, there may be a copay or deductible associated with the cost of the treatment. Additionally, some plans may have limits on the amount they will cover. Find out exactly what your health fund covers before deciding about Invisalign treatment.
Invisalign treatment is a smart choice for those looking to achieve straighter, healthier teeth. There are many different types of Invisalign treatments available, designed to meet the various needs of each patient. Each Invisalign treatment option offers unique benefits to fit a patient’s needs.
At Maylands Dental Centre, we offer a variety of Invisalign treatments to provide the various needs of our patients. So what are you waiting for? Visit our website or call our dental office today to book a consultation appointment and get started on your journey to a healthier, straighter smile.
Frequently Asked questions
Invisalign clear aligners are a step ahead of other clear aligner systems due to their advanced technology. From the customised treatment plan to personalised sets of aligners and smart tracking, Invisalign offers advantages that prove it is more than a cosmetic upgrade.
- Invisalign utilises advanced 3-D imaging software to map out a treatment plan for each patient. This allows them to determine the exact amount of force needed to move teeth and the timing for each tooth’s movement.
- The SmartForce Attachments are tooth-coloured attachments placed on teeth to allow Invisalign trays to push specific teeth and move them as precisely as intended.
- Patients who choose Invisalign can enjoy the comfort of aligners made from SmartTrack material. SmartTrack material allows patients to easily put on and take off the aligners with little to no discomfort.
All in all, these advantages make Invisalign an excellent choice when considering treatments for straightening teeth.
Invisalign provides an alternative to traditional braces but can still cause soreness and discomfort. Here are some tips you can follow to manage your Invisalign pain:
- When you receive a new set of aligners, give yourself time to adjust. Nothing happens overnight. Be patient as you and your teeth adjust to Invisalign.
- Take out your aligners during meals or snacks so that food doesn’t get stuck in them over long periods. Doing so will also prevent breakage and discolouration of the trays.
- Make sure your aligners fit properly. An improperly fitted tray delivers unpredictable force, which can cause your teeth to be out of alignment. Inform your dentist if your aligner does not fit well.
- Rinse with mouthwash often to kill harmful bacteria in your mouth and keep your Invisalign clean.
- Practice good oral hygiene habits like brushing twice daily and flossing regularly.
- Avoid eating hard foods. This can lead to tooth sensitivity in recently shifted teeth.
- If the aligner tray is causing discomfort to your gums, use dental wax to cover its sharp edges. Roll a small piece of wax into a ball, then place it over the sharp edge.
- Make sure to attend your scheduled appointments with your dentist. They can monitor your Invisalign treatment and verify if it is on track.
Here are seven tips to prevent plaque buildup on your trays:
- Rinse and brush your teeth before putting on the aligners. Floss and brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Be sure to clean the area between the aligner ridges. Include the areas behind canines, premolars, and molars.
- Use a soft-bristled brush or oral irrigator to remove trapped food particles inside the aligner ridges.
- Clean your retainer trays in lukewarm —never hot — water and then air dry them completely
- Disinfect your Invisalign trays using an effervescent dental cleaner tablet. Do this at least twice per week.
- Have regular dental cleanings to remove plaque that your brushing and flossing may have missed.
Following these tips will help you reduce bacteria buildup, giving you maximum benefit from Invisalign.
Invisalign trays are designed for convenience. The effectiveness of Invisalign is contingent upon the patient’s cooperation, so it is vital that comfort is a priority when fabricating them. The SmartTrack material used in the fabrication of these aligners makes it easy to remove and wear them. It also has minimal impact on everyday activities such as speaking, eating, and drinking. With Invisalign, you can achieve straight and healthy teeth with minimal disruption in your everyday life.